Fields on the shore of Lake Tanganyika, in Bujumbura, Burundi

Program Summary

This activity diagnosed drivers of fragility in Burundi’s colline landscapes and informed multi-sector investment plans to scale up landscape restoration and climate resilience post COVID-19 in Burundi. 


Poverty and conflict in Burundi are driven by resource dependence and environmental fragility. Since 2015, the country has experienced unprecedented forced displacement with an influx of migrants from DRC. Climate-related disasters account for 83% of these forced displacements, with the remaining 17% caused by the fragile socio-economic situation. Climate change compounds pre-existing risks through rising rainfall/temperature variability. 


Building on landscapes investments initiated by the World Bank in Burundi since 2018, this PROGREEN activity developed the evidence base and facilitate consensus-building with stakeholders, to make the case for scaled up investment in Burundi's collines to address priority needs for landscape restoration and community resilience to rising climate impacts, as part of efforts to build back better post COVID-19. Specifically, this activity will diagnose the underlying drivers of fragility in Burundi’s colline landscapes, often stemming from an overlay of climate risks, environmental degradation and conflict risks, and develop multi-sector investment plans to address identified fragility drivers across Burundi’s 2,639 collines